September 19, 2017
The Planning Commission held their regular meeting on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 in the Caln Township Municipal Building. It was noted the August Planning Commission Meeting was cancelled. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. by Chairperson Dave Lamb.
Roll Call – In attendance for the Planning Commission were Dave Lamb, Jill Hammond, Jim Benko, Ken Simon and John Robinson.
Also in attendance was Cheryl A. Lafferty, Planning Commission Secretary and Carol Schuehler, PE, Cedarville Engineering Group, LLC.
Approval of Minutes – Mr. Lamb entertained a motion to approve the minutes of July 18, 2017 Planning Commission meeting. The motion was so moved by Mrs. Hammond and seconded by Mr. Benko. Poll: all ayes. Motion passed.
Communications – None.
Public Comment –
Denny Bemet, President of the Hillview Development Homeowners Association, as well as Chairman of the Valley Township Planning Commission, was in attendance seeking any information or submittals for the previously approved Hillview plan within Caln Township for 99 townhomes, as the property abuts the development located within Valley Township.
Mr. Bemet was advised the Board of Commissioners have granted a one year extension to the new owner. Nothing formal has been submitted to the Township.
Dave Giljam, owner of E-Y Fabricating Co. located on Gallagherville Road was in attendance seeking direction and assistance. Mr. Giljam purchased the property in 2007 and his use is Grandfathered in the R-1 Low Density Zoning District. Various interested parties have approached him within that period regarding the property, however Special Exception issues are always involved. Current building is approximately 6,0000 square feet, with Mr. Giljam needing to expand to approximately 20,000 square feet to sustain his business. Mr. Giljam has approached the Township previously regarding Variances and Text Changes, to no avail. Mr. Giljam would like to file under a Conditional Use where the Board of Commissioners has the final approval, for a roofing contractor that is interested in the property and expanding the building, as opposed to a Special Exception. Mr. Giljam is suggesting the expansion be allowed by 10%, which would allow the interested party to store materials there with a small office, with the potential to build another building at some point in the future if needed, on the 5+ acres. Mr. Giljam advised his current financial agreement expires in twelve months.
Mr. Lamb questioned traffic, flow and surrounding properties. Per Mr. Giljam, traffic and flow would basically remain the same, also stating they’ve had no issues or complaints with surrounding properties. Mr. Lamb advised the Commission was not in a position to make a recommendation. Mr. Giljam was only seeking feasibility, with the Commission’s consensus his proposal was feasible and they have no opposition.
Ms. Schuehler suggested he contact the Township again with his proposal, and she would follow up with Raymond Stackhouse, Director of Building & Life Safety.
Mr. Giljam thanked the Commission for their time and consideration.
Dwell at Caln PRD 2011 – No one in attendance. The extension agreement is valid until January 17, 2018.
Hills at Thorndale Woods Final LD 2015 – No one in attendance. The extension agreement is valid until December 31, 2017.
301 Bondsville Road SD 2016 – No one in attendance. The extension agreement is valid until January 17, 2018.
3453 Lincoln Highway NTB LD 2017 – No one in attendance.
Brief discussion occurred, with the following being noted:
- Preliminary/Final Land Development application was filed by Wright Partners, LLC, for demolition of the vacant Amoco building and construction of a National Tire & Battery store;
- A Sketch Plan was previously submitted and reviewed by the Planning Commission and Board of Commissioners;
- The Land Development plan was officially accepted for review this evening, starting the 90 day time clock with an expiration date of December 18, 2017.
HandiCrafters Sketch 2017 – In attendance to represent the plan were Denny Howell, PE and Amanda Albano of D. L. Howell & Associates; Amy Rice, HandiCrafters and Neil Fisher of the Hankin Group.
Brief discussion occurred, with the following being noted:
- HandiCrafters purchased the property from Berger & Hayes, for the expansion of their facility on Barley Sheaf Road, to extend towards G. O. Carlson Blvd.;
- Loading docks would be moved to behind the building;
- Existing buildings on the new parcel would be demolished, along with closing the two access points;
- Applicant believes they will need a Special Exception for the expansion of the Adult Day Care Use onto the new parcel, which will encroach into the Riparian Buffer Zone involving the stream;
- Applicant was in receipt of Cedarville Engineering Group’s Review Letter;
- Runoff and Impervious Coverage discussed. Applicant stated they are under the allowable Impervious Coverage;
- Per Township Regulations, Preliminary Plan Applications need to be submitted in conjunction with Special Exception Applications;
- Ms. Schuehler advised per conversations with Township staff, the applicant may be able to submit the Sketch Plan to the Zoning Hearing Board, to allow the project to move forward. Ms. Schuehler had no objection;
- Ms. Schuehler further advised as the proposal is an Existing Use, if the applicant were to request a Waiver of the Traffic Study requirement, it would need to be discussed before the Planning Commission and Board of Commissioners;
- Applicant would install a sidewalk;
- Applicant was advised the Zoning Hearing Board Application would need to be filed by the first week of October, to be heard in November;
- It was the consensus of the Planning Commission to allow the Sketch Plan as submitted, agreeing it is a good re-use of the property.
Jacoby SD/M&Z Bldrs. Inc. Planning Module – Brief discussion occurred, with the following being noted:
- Ms. Schuehler advised before the Commission this evening was Planning Module Component 4A for the Jacoby SD/M&Z Bldrs. Inc., for one new on-lot sewage system for the property located at 1108 North Bailey Road, requiring action;
- Two parcels are being combined into one, for the construction of a single family home. An existing home and on-lot system is already located on the property.
With no further discussion, Mr. Lamb entertained a motion to recommend approval of the Jacoby Subdivision/M&Z Bldrs.,Inc. Sewage Facilities Planning Module Component 4A. The motion was so moved by Mrs. Hammond and seconded by Mr. Benko. Poll: all ayes.
The motion passed.
Old Business – None.
New Business – None.
Adjournment – With no further business, Mr. Lamb entertained a motion to adjourn the meeting. The motion was so moved. The meeting adjourned at 7:30 P.M.
To the best of my knowledge, this summarizes the minutes of the September 17, 2017 Planning Commission meeting.
Cheryl A. Lafferty