- Catherine Callahan, Chair
- Lorraine Tindaro, Vice-Chair
- Mark Evans, Secretary
- Paul Stephens
- Leah Jennings (Excused) Historical Commission Guests (3):
- Mike Bedrick
- Dawn Coughlan
- Tony Wagner
OPENING:The meeting was called to order by President Callahan at 7:30PM
1. MEMBERSHIP AND ATTENDENCEFormer member Dawn Coughlin was in attendance, and expressed interest in being reappointed. Prospective members Tony Wagner and Mike Bedrick were also in attendance. Mr. Wagner has already interviewed with BOC. Mr. Bedrick and Dr. Judy Freed are scheduled to interview with the BOC.
It was noted that Mr. Evans had typed up the 2020 Meeting Schedule and transmitted it to membership.
There was discussion of the 7:30 start time for meetings was later than necessary.
Mr. Evans made a motion to change our regularly scheduled meeting time to 7:00 PM. Seconded by Lorraine Tindaro.
The vote was called by President Callaghan. The motion Passed 4-0.
2. CHC SECRETARY:At the 1/15/20 meeting there was a discussion on the need for notes and minutes. Mark Evans had volunteered to act as CHC Secretary.
Lorraine Tindaro made a motion to approve Mark Evans as Secretary. Seconded by Paul Stephens. The vote was called by President Callaghan. The motion passed 3-0 with Mr. Evans abstaining.
3. EDGE’S MILLAt the 1/15/20 meeting a Motion passed for the CHC to write a letter to Mr. Wise directing him to bring a member of the CHC to any future meetings with the Township.
No action has been taken.
4. GRIFFITH / SPACKMAN FARM
At the 1/15/20 Meeting there was discussion of recommendations made by Paul Stephens, referred to as “The Denny Report”, and that we needed to get a copy of it.
- Mark Evans reported that he obtained a copy from the Township Manager, but had not had time to review it. With Mr. Stephens in attendance at the 2/19/20 meeting, discussion followed.
- Mr. Stephens stated that the Barn Roof was the first priority. Suggested replacing the roof with plywood and replacing the shingles with Fiberglass.
- It was stated that Ms. Denne had said there is $50K insurance that can be used to replace the barn roof. The secretary did not note who made this statement.
- Air Movement within the House remains to be an issue, need to assess availability of electric before anything can be done
- Mr. Stephens stated that if there is electric running to the Farmhouse, a panel and switchbox needs to be installed
- Mr. Evans said he would reach out to Ray Stackhouse regarding the quality and safety of current electrical wiring
Mr. Stephens volunteered to coordinate with Township Maintenance Dept to explore cost efficient ways to get the roof repaired. Mr. Evans volunteered to arrange a meeting between Mr. Stephens, Ray Stackhouse, and Mike Fragil. Mr. Stephens said he could be available in the morning.
Mr. Evans made a motion to direct the Township to authorize funds to replace the barn roof. Seconded by Lorraine Tindaro. President Callaghan called the Vote. Motion passed 4-0
5. LLOYD FARM
- There was no discussion of Lloyd Farm at the 2/19/20 meeting
6. SCHOOLHOUSE - A motion was passed 1/15/20 to ask Ray Stackhouse to inspect the roof, and advise us on its condition.
- Mr. Stackhouse had not completed the inspection in time for the 2/19/20 meeting
7. GUIDELINES FOR SIGNAGE - Tabled at the 1/19/20 meeting
Mr. Evans stated that he has spoken to an attorney who is an expert in signage laws who suggested that this be addressed in the upcoming Township Zoning Ordinance Update
8. PRESERVATION - At the 1/15/20 meeting there was discussion of the importance of Historical Protections being written into Law.
- Mr. Evans reported that he had scanned and distributed East Brandywine Hx Ordinance to CHC Membership for review
- Mr. Evans stated that he had discussed potential Caln Township Historical Preservation Ordinance with Attorney Tony Verwey who suggested making this part of the Zoning Ordinance Update.
- Mr. Evans reported that at the 1/15/20 BOC meeting the Township Manager had approved expenditure for membership with the Chester County Historical Preservation Commission by directing the CHC President to submit an invoice to the Township.
- Mr. Stephens stated that Caln Township Elementary School should be given historical preservation protections
- It was suggested that any Preservation Ordinance include rules against “Demolition by Neglect”. Mr. Evans did not note who made that suggestion
- Mr. Stephens recommended a plan to keep an updated list of properties to be saved, and shared with the Planning Commission to get ahead of Developers.
1. Priorities - There was discussion of how to achieve goals without getting bogged down by a lack of stated priorities. Mr. Evans recommended that in order to keep moving forward, rather than adhere to a 1-year, 5-year, 10-year plan, we create a 30-day, 60-day, and 90-day plan. There was support for this suggestion by Lorraine Tindaro and other members.
Mark Evans made a motion for all members to send him a list of their 30-60-90-day lists for compilation and for presentation at next CHC Meeting. Seconded by Lorraine Tindaro. Vote called by President Callaghan. Motion passed 4-0
2. Olde Caln Historical SocietyDawn Coughlin initiated a discussion of how to reopen communication with the Olde Caln Historical Society so that we can work together to achieve common goals. It was agreed that we could only benefit by their involvement, and noted that our evening meeting hours made it difficult for most of them to attend, especially in the winter months. President Callaghan noted that she was still bothered by a critical email she had received from them regarding staffing at the Schoolhouse, and was uncomfortable with a couple of their members, but would support cooperation with them. The first idea proposed was to get Louis of Olde Caln together with Mr. Stephens, but as the conversation advanced, Mr. Bedrick suggested a more robust joint meeting. Ms. Coughlan volunteered to reach out to them, and suggested that it might be a good idea to meet with them on Sunday March 15th as they already would be at the Municipal Building for an event.
Mr. Evans made a motion to authorize Ms. Coughlan to coordinate a joint meeting with the Olde Caln Historical Society. Seconded by Mr. Stephens. Vote called by President Callaghan. Vote passed 4-0.
3. Website and Public Presence Guest (and now member) Tony Wagner addressed a number of improvements that could be made to the Website to help garner interest in the Commission, and to keep residents informed of what we’re working on.
Lorraine Tindaro made a motion to adjourn. Seconded by Mr. Evans President Callaghan called the vote. Passed unanimously 4-0
The Meeting was adjourned at 8:37PM