The Planning Commission held their regular meeting on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 in the Caln Township Municipal Building. The May 22, 2018 meeting was cancelled. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. by Chairperson Jill Hammond.
Roll Call – In attendance for the Planning Commission were Jill Hammond, Jim Benko, Ken Simon, John Robinson, John Caporale and John Adam Thomas, Ex-Officio.
Also in attendance was Pamela Henrichon, Planning Commission Secretary and Township Engineer Robin K. Youmans, PE, of CEDARVILLE Engineering Group, LLC and Commissioner Lorraine Tindaro.
Approval of Minutes – Mrs. Hammond entertained a motion to approve the minutes of April 17, 2018 Planning Commission meeting. The motion was so moved by Mr. Benko and seconded by Mr. Caporale. Poll: Mrs. Hammond aye, Mr. Benko aye, Mr. Simon aye, Mr. Robinson aye, Mr. Caporale aye. Motion passed.
Communications – None. Public Comment – None.
Downingtown Investors, LLC/Taco Bell Conditional Use Application – In attendance representing the application was Mr. DeGrecco of Downingtown Investors, Joe DiPasquel (Developer), Ryan Whitmore (Civil Engineer), and Eric Ostenchuck of Traffic Planning and Design.
Discussion occurred, noting the following:
- CEDARVILLE Review Letter dated June 14, 2018
- The Zoning Ordinance contains a provision that a drive thru cannot be within 250 ft. of a residence. They received a zoning variance earlier this year for this.
- The property is located in It’s the C2 zoning district which does allow this.
- Approximately 65% of the business is expected to be through the drive thru.
- Drive thru hours are 7:00 am to 1:00am or 2:00 am.
- There’s an exit and entry on 322 and also on Rock Raymond Road via the adjoining Royal Farms entrance.
- The building was designed in its position to keep it as far away from the residences as possible.
- Residents expressed concerns with parking and the lights.
DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING & LIFE SAFETY
253 Municipal Dr, PO Box 72149, Thorndale, PA 19372 | Phone: 610-384-0600 | Fax: 610-384-0689 www.calntownship.org
- The applicant proposes to install an evergreen screening hedge along the parking stalls facing Rock Raymond Road to screen the headlights from the residential properties across the street.
- Site lights will not stay on all night except for security lights.
- They estimate approximately 650 people will be served daily (average of 1300 trips in and out of property)
- They will be adding sidewalks around the property.
- They are evaluating safety measures for the crosswalk from the school.
- Additional intersection improvements will be needed at Manor and Rock Raymond Roads.
- PENDOT has recommended looking at a rectangular flashing beacon to note that there are pedestrians ahead.
- The store itself will be placed on a flat building pad and parking lot grades will approach 5% due to the 18’ to 20’ change in grade across the site.
- Deliveries can be accessed by both driveways (Usually off hours).
- There will be a retaining wall on the western boundary by the drive thru.
- There are 2 underground storm water beds located under the parking lot.
- There will be an above ground rain garden or bio retention area for excess water that will be piped into the storm water retention bed.
- They will be outleted into the existing system.
- The trash loading area will be easy for the trash truck to go in and out of the area. They could potentially move.
- The Planning Commission recommended the parking screen be extended to also screen the dumpster from the residences across the street.
- There will be a covered patio seating area outside.
- The street trees along Rock Raymond Road cannot be planted due to the gas easement.
- The owner of the gas easement needs to review and approve any construction within the easement.
Recommendation to Approve Conditional Use for Taco Bell – Mrs. Hammond entertained a motion to recommend approval. The motion was so moved by Mr. Robinson and seconded by Mr. Simon. Poll: Mrs. Hammond aye, Mr. Benko aye, Mr. Simon aye, Mr. Robinson aye, Mr. Caporale aye. Motion passed.
Brief discussion occurred, noting the following:
- Bondsville Road Apartments LD 2013 Expires 8/21/18
- Dwell at Caln PRD 2011 – No one in attendance. The extension agreement is valid unitl October 17, 2018.
- 301 Bondsville Road SD 2016 – No one in attendance. The extension agreement is valid until October 17, 2018.
- Hills at Thorndale Woods Final LD 2015 – No one in attendance. The extension agreement is valid until December 31, 2018.
- 1103 Foundry Street Sketch 2017 – No one in attendance. No Expiration
- 150 Parkside Drive Sketch 2017 – No one in attendance. No Expiration
- 281 Norton Avenue Benne Sketch 2017 – No one in attendance. No Expiration
- 3925 Hazelwood Avenue Sketch 2017 – No one in attendance. No Expiration Old Business – None
The dates for these meetings are July 30, 2018, October 2, 2018, and April 2, 2019. All meetings will start at 6:30 PM. Ken Simmon,
Adjournment – With no further business, Mrs. Hammond entertained a motion to adjourn the meeting. The motion was so moved. The meeting adjourned at 7:40 P.M.
To the best of my knowledge, this summarizes the minutes of the June 19, 2018 Planning Commission meeting.
Respectfully submitted, Pamela Henrichon Planning Secretary