Nearly 75 years before the Declaration of Independence was conceived, settlers from Calne England were declaring their own independence in the heart of what is today Chester County. Their settlement was "namesaked" Caln, and become Caln Township, one of the original townships in Chester County.
Five other townships were eventually carved from Caln; East Caln, West Caln, East Brandywine, West Brandywine, and Valley Townships. The Borough of Downingtown and the City of Coatesville were also molded from Caln, and by 1868, the township's boundaries were established to encompass its present area; a little over nine square miles.
At that time, the post office and rail road were the only establishments within the township, unlike the thriving community it has become over the years.
In January of 1953, Caln became a first class township; the only one in Chester County. Five years later Caln purchased a tract of land from Mr. and Mrs. Christian Zinn, owners of Ingleside Farms. The tract of land houses the township's municipal complex.
In 1968, when Caln celebrated its centennial, the Hexagonal Schoolhouse from the Edge Farm on Bailey Rd, was moved to its new home in front of the township building. The old one-room schoolhouse, a 75 ton stone structure, was built by Richard Pim in 1837 and was restored as a museum.
Caln still remembers its founder from Calne England and the two cities have been twinned. The ties between the two communities continue to become strengthened as they create the history of tomorrow, today.